ST. BARBARA'S HISTORY

1903

Our Lady of the Rosary was built in Franklin, Father Fafara is assigned as pastor there along with its mission parish, St. Barbara in Black Diamond 

1908

Fr. Aloysius Millnar is assigned priest for Black Diamond

1909

April 25, 1909, Abocedo Ciavarro is the first Baptism recorded in Black Diamond

1910

October 23, 1910, Bishop O'Dea dedicates St. Barbara Church

1914

St. Aloysius parish in Ravensdale established but only lasted about 18 months due to a tragic mining disaster that resulted in the decline of Ravensdale

Holy Cross in Taylor, WA dedicated (Stations of the Cross now displayed at St. Barbara)

1915

St. Barbara Church mortgage retired

1916

The Benedictines of St. Martin's in Lacy supply priests for St. Barbara

1935

Owner of Bank of Black Diamond embezzles funds including all St. Barbara deposits - approximately $500 was taken

1938

Benedictine Sisters from St. Placid in Lacey start organized religious education at St. Barbara until 1944

1942

War shortages and fewer priests cause the Benedictines to return parish to Archdiocesan priest staffing

1946

The Dominican Sisters take over religious education until 1959

1952

Fr. John McLoughlin a Maryknoll priest returns from China to become pastor

1957

Fr. Horan purchases land that the new (1998) church was built on

1966

June 18, 1966 the new Parish Hall was dedicated by Archbishop Connolly

1973

The parish and Fr. Dick Mitchell undertake structural upgrades to aging parish facilities

1975

September 24, 1975, Archbishop Hunthausen's first priest assignment stations Fr. Charles Palluck at St. Barbara

2009

With the retirement of Fr. Chuck Palluck in 2009, Fr. David Young becomes the pastor of St. Barbara

2013

Fr. Dave Rogerson is welcomed as pastor

St. Barbara Catholic Church

32416 6th Ave, Black Diamond, WA 98010

office@stbarbarachurch.org

360-886-2229

  • Facebook
  • Vimeo
  • Instagram